All of the links on this page are to external websites.
Patient Support Organisations
The following organisations provide advice and support to patients in making complaints:
• Action against Medical Accidents
The following organisations regulate particular professions and would investigate fitness to practice concerns.
• General Medical Council for complaints about a doctor
• Nursing and Midwifery Council for complaints about a nurse or midwife
• Health Care Professions Council for complaints about an allied health professional, e.g. a psychologist, physiotherapist or social worker
• Professional Standards Authority where your complaint is about another regulated professional or person on an accredited register. See information on other regulators and accredited registers here
The following organisations regulate independent and NHS healthcare providers across the four countries and would investigate an alleged breach of regulation:
• ISCAS and Healthcare Regulators
• Care Quality Commission and Mental Health – England
• Healthcare Inspectorate Wales – Wales
• Healthcare Improvement Scotland – Scotland
• Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority – Northern Ireland
Other organisations focused on quality in private healthcare
• Private Healthcare Information Network – PHIN is the independent, government-mandated source of information about private healthcare. You can find useful information and get further help regarding Private Healthcare here.
• Independent Healthcare Partners Network – IHPN is the representative body for independent sector healthcare providers. IHPN does not handle complaints but will be able to provide information on providers